May 27th, 2018
Recipe: Poached Eggs and Avocado on Rye
Carbohydrates, good fats and protein are great building blocks for an energizing morning meal. This recipe’s wholesome rye bread, nutrient-rich avocado and soft poached eggs make for a satisfyingly quick and balanced breakfast.
Gather your ingredients:
- 4 eggs (2 per person)
- 1 avocado
- 4 slices of rye bread
- Butter or hummus
- Cracked black pepper
1. Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil. Add a splash of vinegar. Once water is boiling, turn burner to medium-low and reduce to a rolling boil. Crack the eggs one at a time into the water. For a soft poached center, let them cook for 4 minutes.
2. While eggs are poaching, peel and slice the avocado.
3. Toast and lightly butter your toasted rye bread. Add a layer of hummus if desired.
4. Layer the avocado on top of your buttered rye.
5. Remove your poached eggs from the water with a slotted spoon. Let the excess water drip off before carefully placing the eggs over the avocado.
6. Top with freshly cracked black pepper for an extra kick of flavor.