October 16th, 2017
Recipe: Spanish Baked Eggs
Nutritious, flavourful tomato sauce pairs with fresh eggs to spice up any breakfast.
Gather your ingredients:
- Olive Oil, 1-2 tbsp
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- Zucchini, 1 large or two small
- 1 White Onion, medium
- Garlic, 2-3 cloves
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste, 1 tbsp
- Chili Powder, 2 tbsp
- 4 Eggs
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Mince the garlic and chop the veggies. Sauté the mix in olive oil until soft, or oven roast on a baking sheet. (If you happen to have leftover oven-roasted red peppers, zucchini, eggplant or onion from last night’s dinner, you can substitute those instead.)
- Heat a swirl of olive oil in a deep-set frying pan. Add onion, garlic, and chili powder. Sauté until softened.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and sautéed (or roasted) veg mix. Simmer until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- One at a time, make small wells in the sauce and crack each eggs into the pockets you’ve created.
- Once all eggs are in place, cover the pan with a lid and let the eggs cook over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- When eggs have firmed, serve and top with sliced avocado, chilli flakes for a spicy kick, and flat leaf parsley for a fresh garnish.
Pair with fresh, whole grain toast to scoop up extra tomato sauce.
Dinner Alteration: Serve over cooked brown rice or quinoa, and top with grated cheese of any kind for an even more wholesome dish.